*New Course* Writing & Selling Op-Eds & Personal Essays

Sign up: March 8-22. Basic: $100/With Individual Feedback: $250

I do love helping others with their writing. That explains those 15 years teaching writing at Oberlin College, I suppose. I’ve been posting a lot about the VIDA stats and  my post on how to pitch VIDA publications has been extremely popular.  Now I’m offering online courses to help writers pitch publications and draw back the veil on freelancing.

So here’s the deal:

The course is two weeks long. It runs via a private blog from March 8-March 22. The cost is $100–for access to materials and discussions and $250 for the same plus one-on-one feedback. During this time I will:

–post on the basics of op-ed and essay writing, such as developing  ideas, submitting to editors, research, etc.

–share the stories behind the pieces I’ve sold as well

–give you access to a  a database of  publications with updated editor and pay information. There are over 60 markets on it.

–answer your questions.

–(one-on-one option) offer feedback on your work in progress.  I’ll provide you with comments as often as you like during this two week period (I promise a two-day turnaround). You can do multiple drafts of a piece and I’ll keep responding with suggestions, edits, and comments.

If all goes well, we’ll form a community, get to know each other and take our writing and freelancing one step further.

The course works for rookies  and experienced freelancers.

Here is what some former participants said:

I am a middle-aged, career-switching, baby-journalist pursuing a Master’s Degree at Boston University. I have spent a TON of money writing courses as well as attended some for free. Anne’s is by far the best value I’ve come across and I think she could increase her tuition rates by a factor of three and still be giving people a great value. Good writers are a dime a dozen. To be successful, you need to learn what Anne teaches. How to Get Published. Take Anne’s class or compete against someone like me who did.

I really can’t say enough good things about this course. Anne offers professional, helpful advice based on her own experiences, those of other successful freelancers she knows, and tips from editors. My “classmates,” though all at different stages of their careers, were insightful and freely offered plenty of their own experiences to the group; not to mention they’re all great writers themselves, from what I saw. Best of all, though, was the motivation. Anne encouraged us to submit consistently throughout the two weeks we all worked together, and with everyone sharing stories, the mood was infectious. I submitted more pitches during this class than I had in the preceding month.If you’re serious about being a successful published writer in any field, take this class.

March 2012: Took Anne’s course, with the one-on-one feedback aspect. May 2012: Got my piece published in the biggest newspaper in SF. Thank you Anne for making getting published seem not only do-able, but just a series of small steps (and emails) away. You are a treasure trove of a resource!

***See more comments in the “comments” section below.***

Sign up: March 8-22. Basic: $100/With Individual Feedback: $250

Standard

19 thoughts on “*New Course* Writing & Selling Op-Eds & Personal Essays

1. If anyone wants to read a testimonial, here’s one: Anne is great at this stuff! She’s given me much valuable feedback and advice and has really bumped my career up a notch.

2. Suzanne Fischer says:

I really enjoyed taking this course. Anne is knowledgeable, encouraging and full of great ideas. I learned a lot and got connected to useful resources, all from the convenient location of my dining room table.

3. I can’t recommend this course highly enough. Anne went beyond all of my expectations as both instructor and mentor in “drawing back the curtain” of freelance writing. I will forever be in her debt for her remarkable humor and candor in guiding me through a profession I had previously thought utterly elusive.
    Thank you, Anne!

4. Anne Trubek says:

(from Andrea Volpe, a participant):

It will only take a minute reading any of Anne’s work to figure out that she’s smart–and that is what this course is all about: the chance to hear from someone who has made this shift from the ivy tower into broader print in such an intelligent, creative way. I took the first version of this course earlier this spring, and I was inspired by her honesty and willingness to take risks in her own work, grateful for the great practical ideas for how to do this thing and much, much closer to getting where I want to be. I got great feedback on pitch ideas and hope to be working with her again soon (just as soon as I get this stack of paper off my desk).

5. Pingback: Anne Trubek

6. I am a middle-aged, career-switching, baby-journalist pursuing a Master’s Degree at Boston University. I have spent a TON of money writing courses as well as attended some for free. Anne’s is by far the best value I’ve come across and I think she could increase her tuition rates by a factor of three and still be giving people a great value.

Take Anne’s class or compete against someone like me who did.

7. Pingback: Anne Trubek

8. Claire says:

I can’t say enough about this course. Anne draws on her experiences as an academic, a teacher, and a freelance writer. She’s generous with her knowledge and enthusiastic about your accomplishments. Also: no grades!

Thanks Anne.

9. Kate says:

Like Claire, I really can’t say enough good things about this course. Anne offers professional, helpful advice based on her own experiences, those of other successful freelancers she knows, and tips from editors. My “classmates,” though all at different stages of their careers, were insightful and freely offered plenty of their own experiences to the group; not to mention they’re all great writers themselves, from what I saw.

Best of all, though, was the motivation. Anne encouraged us to submit consistently throughout the two weeks we all worked together, and with everyone sharing stories, the mood was infectious. I submitted more pitches during this class than I had in the preceding month, and am hoping I can maintain this same momentum now that I feel more confident following the class.

10. Rebecca Meiser says:

I’ve been a local writer for seven years — but the national freelance market always seemed like such an impossible nut to crack — so I didn’t even bother trying.

Anne’s class gave me the courage, and the know-how, to knock down these doors. As a direct result of Anne’s class, I successfully pitched a story to a national magazine award winning publication — and am now at work on my first national feature.

The guidance, support, and community that this class provided has been one of the greatest gifts in my life.

11. Pingback: Anne Trubek

12. Janet F. says:

March 2012: Took Anne’s course, with the one-on-one feedback aspect.

May 2012: Got my piece published in the biggest newspaper in SF.

13. Pingback: Anne Trubek

14. Anne Trubek’s How to Pitch course is actually somewhat remarkable. In addition to her own experience and practical expertise, and her generosity in sharing them, she also manages to foster a mutually-supportive community of writers which is inspiring in itself. The community spirit of the course goes some way to counter-balance the isolated fears of the solitary writer battling editorial indifference. In other words, Anne humanizes the whole process of writing for publication — no small feat! I can’t recommend this course highly enough.

15. Pingback: From Query To Print: Audio and Resources - Yael Writes